Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Short Review of Genesis 1-4 by C. John Collins

Genesis 1-4: A Linguistic, Literary, And Theological CommentaryGenesis 1-4: A Linguistic, Literary, And Theological Commentary by C. John Collins

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Helpful, and I'm sure I'll go back to it as I preach through the early chapters of Genesis. But it's not at all an easy read, especially in the portions where Collins labors to explain how the text should be divided up into pericopes.

Perhaps the most controversial aspect to the book is his view of creation days. Collins takes the "analogical days" perspective, which I was familiar with from the PCA's position paper (this is considered an orthodox view, according to our denomination's General Assembly). But up until reading Collins, I always thought this was the weakest of the 4 orthodox views. He does a good job defending it, however, and while I was not convinced, I am much more open to that reading of Genesis 1-2, and seeing the structure of the creation account as God's Work Week (i.e. communicating the truth of God's creative activity within the analogy of the human work week).

Read this if you're studying Genesis (esp for pastors preaching on the early chapters). I don't think it's a book you'll want to read cover to cover.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment