Friday, April 8, 2011

Friday Roundup: 04/08/11

I've been sick most of the week and haven't posted all that much. My week's also been more meeting and phone conversation heavy than normal. I hope I haven't said anything really weird, because in most of those conversations I've been in a medicated haze.

:: What's a Congregation Worth: Univ. of Penn professor Ram Cnaan (who describes himself as non-religious) in a 2009 study found that the average urban church adds $477,000 of value to their community every year. One church added $6 million (10x its annual budget). HT: Ray Cannata.

:: Why We Need Jane Austen: Fun article. An excerpt: "Right from the start I must admit that I was not trained in an English department so I am hampered to the extent that I’m rather inept at reading great works of literature for their sublimated eroticism, their homo-erotic subtexts, and covert commentaries on sexual, racial, and economic oppression." HT: Tim Challies.

:: Getting Ready for Sunday: A preview of our worship gathering at New City this week. You should come.

:: The Next Story: I'm excited for this new book by Tim Challies.

No comments:

Post a Comment