Thursday, August 4, 2011

Notes From the Tilt-A-Whirl - Short Review

Notes from the Tilt-A-Whirl: Wide Eyed Wonder in God's Spoken WorldNotes from the Tilt-A-Whirl: Wide Eyed Wonder in God's Spoken World by N.D. Wilson

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Imagine a Rob Bell book, but with longer sentences and better theology. I suppose that's mean. Fans of Bell will think I'm taking a swipe at him (which I suppose I am). Fans of Wilson will think I'm dragging him down by comparing him to Bell (which isn't my intent). Okay, let's start over.

I read a review this morning talking about Francis Chan's book Erasing Hell. Chan's book is a response to Rob Bell's controversial Love Wins. The reviewer said of Chan's attempt, "right time, wrong book."

Trevin Wax: "Bell’s book is troublesome, not because it is a thoughtful representation of [his position]... It’s troublesome because it is seeking to make inclusivism beautiful. Bell succeeds at “dressing up” falsehood. Meanwhile, his evangelical critics aren’t even bothering with the wardrobe. We are Nixon, and he is Kennedy. From a purely rhetorical, debating standpoint, we win. But Bell understands the medium."

Wax goes on to suggest that reformed types do great exegesis and historical theology and win the substantive battle every time. But folks like Bell and William Young (author of The Shack) continue to craft great stories. "We grasp the issues, but others grasp the medium." So true.

That's where Notes From the Tilt-A-Whirl comes in. It's hard to classify what this book is: philosophical musings, spiritual memoir, travelogue. It has something of all of these. But mostly, it's just beautiful writing. Wilson gives us a great example of robust theology artistically expressed. He grasps the issues and the medium. I can't recommend this book highly enough. And you also ought to check out the hour long DVD (a bookumentary of sorts - trailer below).

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment